Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Turkey and Black Bean Chili




It is September and fall is upon us, my favorite time of year. It’s full of warm comfort food, sweaters, apples, pumpkin and chili. During the chilly autumn days there is nothing like curling up on the couch with a big comfy sweater with a big bowl of chili and a good movie (that is a perfect Saturday to me). I love chili, it’s so warm and inviting; meat, beans tomatoes and just a little spicy. Now I know there is a big debate over beans in chili; in Texas I know it’s a big no-no, but I like so I use beans. Cooking is your personal preference, so do what you like.

I normally use ground beef for my chili, but since I have been eating a lot of beef and steak over the summer I decided to use ground turkey. You know lighten it up a little bit, and we normally always have it in the freezer. And I used black beans, which are better for you then some of the other beans. Plus they work nicely with the turkey.





Turkey and Black Bean Chili
1lb ground turkey
1 package of Chili Seasoning (with 1lb of meat use only half the pack)
1tsp chili powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
1tsp ground cumin
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 can of black beans (do not drain)
1 can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
½c water

In a large pot or dutch oven brown off your ground turkey over medium heat.
Add spices and cook off some of the rawness of the spices.
Then add the black beans, tomatoes and water.
Bring to a boil and then turn to low and let it simmer for about ten minutes.



When I made chili I have to have corn bread. I love the Honey Cornbread Recipe from FoodNetwork.com.



This chili recipe is such a great meal to have as the weather starts to cool off to warm you up. Be blessed and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...