Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Jewish Apple Cake


This has to be one of my favorite pound cake recipes; it is actually one of the first things I learned to make. When I was younger my Grandmother would make this every holiday season. I remember arriving at her house every Christmas and wait for this to hit the table. She would make several because she would let the families take home half a cake.
But, Christmas is too far away to wait for this yummy cake. This has to be the most requested cake that I make; so much that I keep apples in my fridge at all times. I recently made this for a book club meeting and it was a success.
Now while I have changed the recipe some from the way my Nana made it, it still brings me back to Christmas when I eat it. I have tried almost every type of apple in this recipe to see if it changed the flavor or texture, and they all seem to hold up well. So your favorite baking apple will be fine or mix them up if you like. My grandmother used walnuts in her batter and it does give a flavor and texture, but due to nut allergies among friends I tend to leave them out. Otherwise, the recipe is pretty simple. Just remember to have fun.








Jewish Apple Cake
3 medium apples, peeled cored and diced
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup orange juice
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 10 inch tube pan.
2. Sprinkle apples with 5 tablespoons white sugar and the ground cinnamon (I could stop here and just eat this by itself). Toss to coat and set aside.
3. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
4. In the mixer combine butter, sugar and oil until light and fluffy.
5. Add eggs one at a time until well blended. Then add orange juice and vanilla.
6. Reduce blender speed to low and add flour. Mix until well combined.
7. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan. Place half apple mixture over the batter then pour the remaining batter and sprinkle remaining apples on the top.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 to 80 minutes. Let cake cool in pan, if you can.






I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do. Enjoy a little piece of my family, be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...